Friday, September 01, 2006

The Last Leg

After a brief layover in Florence (I'd been there before), I headed up to Cinque Terre. My original plan had been to stay there a few days. Cinque Terre has five small towns tucked between the sea and mountains and is gorgeous. It was breathtaking as I came through on the small train that services the area.



But shortly after I got there, I had a tough time getting hotels for more than one night and the Internet situation was spotty (I had intended to work). So I turned to the bottle of wine I got at my villa in Tuscany to see if it had any answers for me. And it told me to head north, young man, head north.



So North I went, to Nice. When I got on the train in Monterosso (one of the cities in the Cinque Terre), I was seated right across from an American Girl, Kelly. She and I started talking right away. One of the reasons we'd both left our previous locations was the fact that it wasn't suitable for a single person traveling alone and not speaking Italian (although mine was improving). I wanted gentler travels, and so did she.

Thus began our two days together. It was a long trip to Nice, but arriving there was a breath of Fresh air. We both got separate hotels. Mine was one that had all these separate rooms designed by artists. Very cool.

Nice was all about the beach during the day, good eating in the evening and good sleeping at night. It was bliss and just what both of us needed! Kelly was great company and we got along famously. I'm so thankful I ran into her. It helped to wrap up the last part of my trip with a very pretty little bow.



We decided yesterday to go parasailing...we'd both always wanted to do it and never had done it. So after laying out, we went and did it. Very cool! Only the beginning and end were heart-pumping. The rest was actually quite serene, being way up high and looking down at the beautiful azur water of the cote d'azur. Most excellent!





People, I think, were constantly confusing us as a couple, which was fine with me. We made a beautiful couple! Kelly left last night to go to Paris, then to London to fly out.

For my part, it's my last morning in Nice. I take off this afternoon on a fast train to Paris. Two nights in Paris and then I fly home (early) to Seattle on Sunday evening. I've had an amazing trip (I'll do one more post from home), but I was just ready to come home and get in the last slice of summer in Seattle and prepare for all the big happenings of fall.

More from Seattle...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home